Trooper R Class
The Kentucky State Police is the leading law enforcement agency for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Becoming a Trooper for the second time is much more than just a job...it is a second opportunity to serve the citizens of the Commonwealth of Kentucky with more honor, courage and commitment.
The Kentucky State Police is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D.
The salary for a Trooper R Class employee is $3,333.33 monthly ($40,000.00 annually).
Any increments set by legislative approval will reflect in the designated salary.
Troopers receive a per diem of $5.00 per day for uniform maintenance.
Troopers receive a $3,100 annual training stipend.
No health insurance is offered.
Vacation: Trooper R Class employee may take no more than fifteen (15) days of unpaid leave (time off with no pay) per contractual period of one (1) year, unless approved by Commissioner.
Compensatory Time: Trooper R Class employee may accrue up to sixty (60) hours of C-time and shall not exceed forty (40) hours at any time during the contractual year.
Holidays: Troopers receive 12 and ½ paid holidays per year.
Equipment: Trooper R Class employee is provided uniforms, necessary weapons, vehicles and other essential equipment and supplies required to perform duties.
- A citizen of the United States
- Of good moral character and in good health
- Possess a valid drivers license against which no more than six (6) driver demerit points have been assessed. You must submit a copy of a valid drivers license at time of application.
- Be a retired Kentucky State Police sworn officer who, prior to retirement, was commissioned as an officer under K.R.S. Chapter 16.
- Be a retired member of the State Police Retirement System established by K.R.S. 16.505 to 16.652 who retired with at least twenty (20) years of service credit.
- Upon appointment to Trooper R Class, have been separated from the service of the Department of Kentucky State Police for a period of no less than one (1) month nor greater than sixty (60) months following the individual's effective retirement date from the State Police Retirement System.
- Have retired with no pre-existing agreement between the employee and the Department prior to the employee's retirement for the employee to return to work with the Department.
- Trooper R Class employee shall serve on a contractual basis for a term of one (1) year and the contract may be renewed annually, by agreement of the parties, for no more than four (4) additional one (1) year terms.
- Shall be assigned the job duties of a "road trooper" and shall not be placed in any supervisory positions or special work assignments.
- Work stations for Trooper R Class employee shall be determined by Agency need with consideration given to the applicant's stated preference.
- Merit of individuals employed as Trooper R Class employee shall be determined by the applicant's ability to adhere to the Agency standards set by the Commissioner under K.R.S. Chapter 16.
- Must complete and meet the minimum standards of the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council POPS physical fitness test.
- Applicant has made a false statement of material fact on the application or in response to any questions or requests for information during the selection process
- Applicant has used or attempted to use political influence, coercion or bribery to secure an advantage in any phase of the selection process
- Applicant has attempted to gain an advantage over other applicants by any dishonest or intentionally misleading act or omission.
- Applicant has failed to comply with any instructions from the department relating to the selection process.
- Applicant is a current user of a controlled substance, unless prescribed by a physician.
- Applicant is addicted to any controlled substance or intoxicant.
- Applicant tests positive for an unlawful controlled substance as determined by a blood or urine analysis.
- Tattoo Policy-If applicant was "grandfathered in", then remains same for this program
- Retired pending charges by Internal Affairs
- Campaign contributions
- Conviction-felony or a crime of moral turpitude
- More than 6 demerit points against OL
All applications need to be sent to:
Kentucky State Police
Attn: Jay Jacobs
919 Versailles Road
Frankfort, KY 40601