TFC Stu Recke
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 2, Nortonville
Click here to e-mail TFC Stu Recke
Traffic Stop Leads to Felony Arrest
Date of News Release: 02/07/2014
Madisonville, KY. (Hopkins County) - The Kentucky State Police arrested an Earlington man on drug-related charges.
On Friday, February 7, 2014 at approximately 7:56 p.m., Trooper Joseph Bartolotti observed a tan 1997 Plymouth Breeze, operated by Matthew R. Ashby, driving carelessly. During the traffic stop, Mr. Ashby did not have an operator's license or insurance card in his possession. Trooper Bartolotti immediately determined Mr. Ashby was under the influence of drugs. During the traffic stop a plastic baggie containing a white powdery substance was observed in the vehicle. That baggie was seized and field tested positive for cocaine. Mr. Ashby also had an unlabeled prescription pill bottle containing 5 unknown pills on his person. Mr. Ashby was arrested without incident.
Trooper Bartolotti charged Mr. Ashby with the following offenses:
- Careless Driving
- License to be in Possession
- Failure to Register Transfer of Motor Vehicle
- Failure to Produce Insurance Card
- Operating Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Alcohol / Drugs 1st Offense
- Prescription Controlled Substance Not in Proper Container 1st Offense
- Possession of Controlled Substance 3rd Degree - Drug Unspecified
- Possession of Controlled Substance 1st Degree 2nd Offense - Cocaine
He was lodged in the Hopkins County Detention Center.
To anonymously report any type of suspected illegal drug activity, citizens can call the KSP toll-free drug tip hotline, 1-800-DOPE-TIP. The hotline is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.