TFC Corey King
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 16, Henderson
Click here to e-mail TFC Corey King
Two Killed in a Collision on the William Natcher Parkway
Date of News Release: 05/28/2012
(Henderson, KY) -- On May 28th, the Kentucky State Police are currently investigating a one-vehicle fatality collision that occurred on the William Natcher Parkway at the 44 mile-marker. This location is approximately two-miles east of Beaver Dam in Ohio County.
The preliminary investigation revealed that Lian Awi was traveling northbound on the William Natcher Parkway around the 44 mile-marker. For an unknown reason, Awi ran off the right shoulder and attempted to regain control by over-correcting his vehicle. Awi slid across both northbound lanes and off into the median where his 2007 Honda Pilot overturned. Two of the passengers were ejected and were pronounced dead on scene by the Ohio County Corners Office.
Awi and another passenger were transported via ambulance to Ohio County Hospital for treatment. Air Evac of Bardstown transported one unknown patient to University of Louisville Hospital. Vanderbilt Life Flight of Nashville and Air Methods of Elizabethtown transported two patients to Saint Mary's in Evansville. PHI of Paducah transported one patient to Vanderbilt in Nashville. All the participants in this collision are from Burma and do not speak English. Due to the language barrier, it is currently unknown of the patients' identity as well as the identity of the deceased.
Awi was arrested and lodged in the Ohio County Detention Center in Hartford. He has been charged with two counts of Manslaughter 1st degree; four counts of Assault 1st degree and Driving Under the Influence 1st offense.
Both southbound lanes of the William Natcher Parkway were shut down for two hours due to the investigation and clean-up.
The identities of those involved have been established. They are as follows:
- Sang, Biak (22) of Owensboro, KY. Seatbelt was not utilized.
- Cung, Thawng (33) of Owensboro, KY. Seatbelt was not utilized.
- Thang, Kham (20) of Owensboro, KY. Seatbelt: Yes. (He was treated and released from Ohio County Hospital in Hartford).
- Way, Saw S. (26) of Owensboro, KY. Seatbelt: No. (Currently at Saint Mary's Hospital in Evansville).
- Tau, Taul S. (29) of Owensboro, KY. Seatbelt: No. (Currently at Saint Mary's Hospital in Evansville).
- Htay, Maung M. (41) of Owensboro, KY. Seatbelt: No. (Currently at Vanderbilt in Nashville).
- Htaik, Nai (21) of Owensboro, KY. Seatbelt: No (Currently at the University of Louisville Hospital in Louisville).
Additional support personnel: The International Center of Owensboro / Bowling Green and the Ohio County Coroner's Office.
The investigation is on-going and conditions of the patients are unknown.