TFC Billy Gregory
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 15, Columbia
Click here to e-mail TFC Billy Gregory
Law Enforcement working together to reduce woodland fires in Clinton/Wayne County
Date of News Release: 03/30/2012
(Columbia, KY) –- Units from Post 15 Columbia will be joining forces next week with Rangers from the KY Division of Forestry to draw attention to an area of concern in the Clinton/Wayne County areas of the Popular Mountains. There have been and increased number of unaccountable wildfires in the wooded areas between KY Hwy 696 and KY Hwy 1009. Troopers, Arson Investigators and Rangers will be passing out information to residents and business owners in the area of concern to help increase awareness of the problem and to better inform the public on what course of action to take.
The KY Arson Hotline Taskforce "Target Arson" HOTLINE is 1-800-27-ARSON.
149.400 Fire hazard seasons -- Fires prohibited -- Exceptions.
(1) The periods commencing on February 15 and ending on April 30 and commencing on October 1 and ending on December 15 of each year are hereby declared to be and established as the fire hazard seasons. During the fire hazard seasons, even though the precautions required by KRS 149.375 shall have been taken, it shall be unlawful for any person to set fire to, or to procure another to set fire to, any flammable material capable of spreading fire, located in or within one hundred fifty feet (150') of any woodland or brush land, except between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., prevailing local time, or when the ground is covered with snow.
Effective: June 24, 2003
History: Amended 2003 Ky. Acts ch. 47, sec. 1, effective June 24, 2003. -- Amended 1998 Ky. Acts ch. 169, sec. 3, effective July 15, 1998. -- Amended 1982 Ky. Acts ch. 142, sec. 8, effective July 15, 1982. -- Amended 1966 Ky. Acts ch. 23, sec. 48. -- Created 1964 Ky. Acts ch. 158, sec. 9.
149.991 Penalties for violation of KRS 149.360 to 149.430.
(1) Any person who violates any of the provisions of KRS 149.360 to 149.430 except KRS 149.380 shall be fined not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500) or imprisoned for not more than six (6) months, or both such fine and imprisonment.
(2) Any person who violates any of the provisions of KRS 149.380 shall be fined not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) nor more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or imprisoned for not more than five (5) years, or both such fine and imprisonment.
Effective: July 15, 1982
History: Amended 1982 Ky. Acts ch. 142, sec. 16, effective July 15, 1982. -- Created 1964 Ky. Acts ch. 158, sec. 18.
149.380 Setting fire on land owned by another, prohibited.
No person shall:
(1) Willfully, maliciously, or wantonly set on fire or cause or procure to be set on fire any timberland, or flammable material on such land, which land is not owned, leased or controlled by him.
(2) Willfully, maliciously, or wantonly allow a fire to escape from his land and burn the land or property of another.
(3) Willfully, maliciously, or wantonly set, throw or place any device, instrument or paraphernalia in or adjacent to any timberland with intent to set fire to such land, or which in the natural course of events would result in fire being set to such timberland.
History: Amended 1966 Ky. Acts ch. 23, sec. 45. -- Created 1964 Ky. Acts ch. 158, sec. 5.