TPR Lloyd Cochran
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 11, London
Click here to e-mail TPR Lloyd Cochran
Scam / Fraud Alert
Date of News Release: 12/07/2012
(LONDON, KY.) -- The Kentucky State Police, Post 11, London has received a report of a scam / fraud that targets victims claiming they have won a large money prize.
The latest incident claimed to be the Publishers Clearing House prize award and requested the victim to send money via PayPal to pay taxes and fees on the prize money.
The victim did send the requested funds and did not win or receive any prize.
The Kentucky State Police, Post 11 urges the public to remember that:
- If you have legitimately won a cash prize taxes and fees are taken from the prize award and to never send money upfront.
- Never send money, via PayPal, Western Union or any other money transfer service to receive a prize of any kind.
- Never give personal information out over the phone unless you have made the call and know who you are speaking to.
- Immediately, call or visit your bank to report suspicious activity that concerns you.
- If you are a victim of this type of scam contact a law enforcement agency.
Most importantly, remember that scams and frauds increase during the holiday season.