News Release

For Other Kentucky Government Sites Visit:
Click here to visit, the Official State Government Site for the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Media / For More Information Contact:
TFC Jay Thomas
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 1, Mayfield
(270) 856-3721
Click here to e-mail TFC Jay Thomas

KSP Investigating Assault and Wanton Endangerment

Date of News Release: 03/01/2011

(Calvert City, Ky.) -- Kentucky State Police are investigating an incident which occurred Monday night on Interstate 24 in Marshall County. At approximately 10:30 PM on February 28th, Troopers and Marshall County authorities responded to the westbound lanes of I-24 near the 24 mile marker after motorist saw two small children in the roadway. Upon arrival, units discovered a two-year-old child lying on the inside edge of the westbound lanes of the interstate. The child had a large laceration to back of the head. Officers also located a woman walking east in the median carrying another small child. The woman was identified as the two children's mother.

Cynthia PalmerPolice investigation revealed that 29-year-old, Cynthia Palmer, was traveling from Fort Campbell, TN with her two children. Palmer stated to Troopers that she had been snorting bath salts and began to hallucinate while driving. Ms. Palmer's hallucinations prompted her to stop her vehicle along the side of the interstate. Ms. Palmer retrieved her two small children from the vehicle and began to carry them across the westbound lanes of Interstate 24. Ms. Palmer stated that she dropped her two-year-old child on the roadway and left him. It is believed this is what caused the head injury to the child.

The two-year-old was transported to Kosair's Children's Hospital in Louisville due to the extent of his injuries. The five-year-old received no injuries and was taken into custody by Tennessee Social Services.

Kentucky State Police arrested Cynthia Palmer and charged her with Assault 1st Degree, Wanton Endangerment 1st Degree, and Public Intoxication. She was lodged in the Marshall County Jail. The investigation is still ongoing by Trooper Trey Green with the Kentucky State Police. State Police were assisted by Marshall County Sheriff's Office, the Calvert City Police Department, and the Marshall County EMS.

Last Update: