TFC Billy Gregory
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 15, Columbia
Click here to e-mail TFC Billy Gregory
Driving Tips for heavy rains and high water
Date of News Release: 04/12/2011
(Columbia, KY) – KSP Post 15 would like to remind everyon that it is more difficult to see other vehicles, road signs and the roadway during heavy rains and that it is critical to follow some common sense rules. Here are a few driving tips.
- Slow down in order to increase your ability to stop. It takes longer to stop or adjust in wet weather.
- Maintain a safe following distance. Under normal circumstances the 3 second rule would apply but you should add at least 1 second for every additional change (ex. 1 second for rain, 1 second for fog, etc.).
- Drive in the tracks of the car ahead of you to reduce water pooling.
- Be more alert. Avoid using brakes too much. Adjust speeds by first removing your foot from the accelorator.
- Turn your headlights on in light rain or foggy, overcast conditions to increase your ability to see and others ability to see you.
- Make sure you have good windshield wipers and tires before driving.
- Never drive through moving water even if you can see the ground.
- Approach puddles of water slowley if the depth is uncertain.
- Stay off the road during heavy thunderstorms.