Trooper Jonathan Biven
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 3, Bowling Green
Click here to e-mail Trooper Jonathan Biven
Holiday Safety Tips
Date of News Release: 11/18/2010
(Bowling Green, Ky.) -- The Holiday Season is upon us again and tis the season for Scrooge to rear its ugly head. The Kentucky State Police want everyone to have a happy and safe Thanksgiving and Christmas Season. If you are travelling this Holiday Season, please follow these easy tips to keep from becoming a negative Holiday statistic.
- Make arrangements to have your newspaper picked up by a friend, neighbor or held by the delivery person so it doesn’t clutter your drive or mailbox.
- Make arrangements to have your mail picked up by a neighbor or friend or held at the post office so it doesn’t accumulate in your mailbox.
- Make arrangements to have your trash can removed from the end of the driveway, so it is not left there for an extended period of time.
- If possible, set interior and exterior lights on a timer so they will come on during the time you are away.
- Before leaving for your trip, make sure your cellular telephone is completely charged and your gas tank is full. And when your gas tank gets half full, start looking to fill up again.
- Also keep some drinks and snacks in your vehicle in case you become stranded.
- Check your tire pressure and oil and keep jumper cables on hand.
- While shopping, park in a well lit area that also has heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Store packages in the trunk and out of view.
- Walk in pairs and keep your keyless remote handy if available.
Following these simple tips will hopefully keep Scrooge away from you, your residence and your vehicle during this Holiday Season.