For Other Kentucky Government Sites Visit:
Click here to visit, the Official State Government Site for the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Media / For More Information Contact:

Trooper Kendra Wilson
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 12, Frankfort
(502) 227-2221
Click here to e-mail Trooper Kendra Wilson

Florida Man Suffering From Self Inflicted Gun Shoots after Pursuit

Date of News Release: 07/11/2010

(Post 12 Frankfort) --On Saturday July 10, at approximately 7:30 AM, Sergeant J. Blevins, an officer with the Kentucky State Police Division of Commercial Vehicle Enforcement attempted to make a traffic stop on I-75 in Fayette County. He had observed a pickup truck speeding northbound at the 110 mile marker. Officer Blevins activated his emergency equipment and the pickup refused to stop, a pursuit ensued. The eluding pickup reached speeds in excess of 95 miles per hour. Trooper Joey Johnson joined the pursuit to assist Sergeant Blevins. At approximately the 125 mile marker the eluding pickup stropped on the right shoulders of I-75. As law enforcement officers approached the vehicle, the driver Allan J. Mitchell, of Palm Harbor, Florida shot himself while setting inside his truck.

Mr. Mitchell then attempted to flee a second time striking Sergeant Blevins' cruiser. He continued fleeing crossing all three northbound lanes of I-75, before striking the concrete barrier wall and coming to rest. He was then taken into custody without any further incident, and transported to the University of Kentucky Hospital for treatment for his injuries.

Investigators obtained a search warrant for Mr. Mitchell's vehicle. As a result of the search they recovered over five pounds of marijuana, weapons, cash and other drugs. Mr. Mitchell remains in the hospital and is being treated for a self inflicted gun shot wound. He was charged with numerous traffic charges including DUI, and Fleeing and Evading Police. He is also wanted in Florida and Ohio on drug and traffic charges. Other criminal charges are pending in Kentucky. The investigation is ongoing by the Kentucky State Police, Frankfort Post, and the Kentucky State Police, Division Commercial Vehicle Enforcement.

Last Update: