News Release

For Other Kentucky Government Sites Visit:
Click here to visit, the Official State Government Site for the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Media / For More Information Contact:
TFC Billy Gregory
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 15, Columbia
(270) 384-4796
Click here to e-mail TFC Billy Gregory

Update to the Murder Investigation in Edmonton, KY

Date of News Release: 10/17/2008

(Columbia, KY) - The 17 year old juvenile has been identified as the victim's son. There is no clear indication as to the motive at this time. A blunt instrument, believed to be the weapon, was recovered by investigators.

The incident occured at 240 Neeper Road, 3 miles south of Edmonton, KY in Metcalf County. All 3 persons, the victim, accused and Jeannie K. Stewart were living at the residence. Jeannie K. Stewart was staying at the residence as a result of losing her home to a recent fire. It is unclear as to her relationship with the victim or accused but she was not related.

Original News Release Below:

Date of News Release: 10/17/2008

(Columbia, KY) - On 10/16/08 At 08:08 PM CST Post 15 was contacted by the Edmonton Police Department. They advised they had received a call from a female in Indiana stating that her mother, 43 year old Jeannie K. Stewart, was being held hostage by a 17 year old juvenile neighbor and that he had beaten his father to death.

Post 15 units were dispatched to the residence in Edmonton KY. Troopers Bobby Maxwell, Ricky Brooks and Sgt. J.W. Gibson assisted by the Metcalf County Sheriffs Office approached the residence on foot and observed a male (later identified as the 17 year old juvenile) removing a body from the back door of the residence. Troopers approached the male and took him into custody without incident.

Units then entered the residence and found Jeannie Stewart unharmed. The victim was identified as 54 year old Robert H. Fritz of Edmonton, KY.

The juvenile was lodged in the Adair County Youth Development Center and charged with Murder, Unlawful Imprisonment 1st, Tampering with Physical Evidence and Terroristic Threatening 2nd.

The name of the accused and other details will not be released at this time. An autopsy is pending to determine the cause of death. Detective Kevin Hunt continues to investigate.

Last Update: