TFC Stu Recke
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 2, Nortonville
Click here to e-mail TFC Stu Recke
Traffic Stop Leads To Altercation & Arrest
Date of News Release: 01/10/2006
Oak Grove, KY (Christian County) - On Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at approximately 12:55 p.m. CST, Tpr. Mark Franklin stopped a vehicle for speeding westbound on I-24 near the 86 mile-marker. Tpr. Franklin obtained consent to search the vehicle from the driver. The driver stood behind his vehicle as Tpr. Franklin conducted his search.
Tpr. Franklin was on the passenger side of the suspect's vehicle with the door open when he discovered contraband. Tpr. Franklin told the suspect that he was going to be arrested. The subject then jumped into his vehicle and attempted to leave while Tpr. Franklin was still partially in the suspect's vehicle. While the suspect was attempting to flee in the vehicle, Tpr. Franklin was able to free himself. Tpr. Franklin fired upon the suspect; however, the suspect was not injured and fled the scene.
The suspect fled westbound on I-24. Tpr. Franklin had returned to his cruiser and was pursuing the suspect. The suspect crossed the grass median, both eastbound lanes, and continued to travel eastbound on the grassy shoulder. The suspect attempted to drive his vehicle through a wire fence then fled his vehicle on foot. Tpr. Franklin exited his cruiser and chased the suspect on foot. After a foot pursuit, Tpr. Franklin caught up to the suspect. The suspect refused to comply and resisted Tpr. Franklin. After a brief struggle, Tpr. Franklin was able to subdue the suspect and take him into custody. EMS responded to the scene, but the suspect refused medical treatment. Tpr. Franklin was not injured.
The suspect has been identified as Danny W. Rittenberry age 48 of Hopkinsville, KY. Mr. Rittenberry was lodged in the Christian County Detention Center and charged with the following offenses:
- Trafficking Controlled Substance 1st - (C Felony)
- Possession Controlled Substance 1st - (D Felony)
- Wanton Endangerment 1st - (D Felony)
- Assault 3rd - (D Felony)
- Possession Drug Paraphernalia 2nd - (D Felony)
- Fleeing/Evading Police 1st (Motor Vehicle) - (D Felony)
- Fleeing/Evading Police 1st (On Foot) - (D Felony)
- Resisting Arrest - (A Misdemeanor)
- Criminal Mischief 2nd - (A Misdemeanor)
- Driving Under the Influence - (B Misdemeanor)
- Failure to Notify DOT of Address Change - (B Misdemeanor)
- No Insurance - (B Misdemeanor)
- Speeding - (Violation)
- Expired Registration Plates - (Violation)
- Expired Registration Receipt - (Violation)
- Improper Display of Registration Plates - (Violation)
- Failure to Wear Seatbelt - (Violation)
- Failure to Use Turn Signal - (Violation)
Mr. Rittenberry is also wanted on warrants out of Tennessee for drug related charges. The investigation is continuing by the Kentucky State Police.