News Release

For Other Kentucky Government Sites Visit:
Click here to visit, the Official State Government Site for the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Media / For More Information Contact:
TFC Stu Recke
Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police
Post 2, Nortonville
(270) 676-3313
Click here to e-mail TFC Stu Recke

Death Investigation in Beulah, KY Ruled Accidental

Date of News Release: 11/19/2004

Beulah, KY (Hopkins County) - Today, investigators concluded their investigation into the fire that left three people dead on November 17, 2004. The fire has been ruled accidental. The cause has been determined to be a wood-burning stove. Apparently, a door was left open on the stove and the stovepipe got too hot and set the wall of the trailer on fire.

Investigators first responded to the scene on November 17, 2004. At approximately 0045 hours on November 17, 2004, Hopkins County Central Dispatch received a report of a residential fire located at 370 High Glory Road. Tpr. Billy Sumner heard the fire department dispatched to the call and proceeded to the scene along with Tpr. Jason Kirk. Tpr. Sumner arrived at the scene at approximately 0054 hours. Upon his arrival, the trailer was fully engulfed in flames. The Richland and Charleston Volunteer Fire Departments arrived just after Tpr. Sumner. The fire was extinguished by approximately 0300 to 0330 hours.

Ten people were inside the trailer when the fire started. Seven people were able to escape from the trailer before emergency personnel arrived. Three victims were not able to escape and died as a result of the fire. Hopkins County Deputy Coroner, Dennis Mayfield, pronounced Adam Duncan 18 year-old male, Brianna Duncan 6 year-old female and Christian Flores 4 year-old male dead at the scene. The remaining seven victims were transported to the Regional Medical Center in Madisonville. Three of those victims were then flown to Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville. Cole Duncan 29 year-old male, Laura Duncan 26 year-old female, Aubree Duncan 22 month-old female and Benjamin Guy 8 year-old male were treated and released from the Regional Medical Center on November 17, 2004.

Alyssa Duncan 4 year-old female, Korie Hart 5 year-old female and Bryden Mann 14 month-old male were flown to Kosair. As of today, Bryden Mann is listed in good condition, Alyssa Duncan is listed in fair condition and Korie Hart is listed in critical condition.

An autopsy was performed at the Medical Examiner's Office in Madisonville on November 17, 2004. The cause of death for the three victims was smoke inhalation.

The Kentucky State Police and the State Fire Marshals Office was also assisted by ATF and the Bowling Green Fire Department.

Last Update: