Law Enforcement Accelerated Program (LEAP)
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be of good moral character and health.
- Not less than (twenty-one) 21 years of age.
- Have a total of three (3) years of full-time employment with a Kentucky Law Enforcement agency/agencies as a Peace Officer Professional Standards (POPS) certified police officer.
- Be currently working for a Kentucky Law Enforcement Agency or not have been separated or retired from Agency for more than twelve (12) months.
- Must have three (3) years of service from date of graduation from DOCJT by March 1st, 2012 to be eligible for the April 15, 2012 accelerated class.
Law Enforcement Accelerated Entry Program Selection Process:
- Completion of application packet.
- Receive endorsement from Sworn KSP Trooper.
- Post Commander's interview.
- Pass a written examination with a minimum score of 70% or higher.
- Successfully pass Physical Standards Test.
- Score sufficiently on oral interview.
- Pass a background investigation that includes a polygraph examination.
- Pass a medical and psychological examination.
Tentative Application Process Schedule: <
Deadline for Applications----October 31st
Written/Physical Exam----November 21st, 22nd, 23rd
Background Investigations----January 6 – February 3
Academy Start----(11 weeks) April 15th
Cadet troopers will receive $2,870.16 per month during academy training. Upon graduation this salary will increase to $3,115.20 monthly ($37,382.40 annually). Troopers also receive a $3,100.00 per year Training Stipend and $5.00 per day worked for Uniform Maintenance.
- All equipment provided including uniforms, take home vehicle, weapons, etc.
- No cost life insurance coverage of $20,000
- 121/2 paid holidays per year
- Starting vacation leave at one day per month for the first five years and increases every five years
- 1 sick day per month accrued with no maximum
- 1 year of sick leave may be applied towards retirement
- Paid military leave (21 days per year) for Reserve or National Guard active duty
- Retirement with full benefits after 25 years
- Merit program incentives
- Deferred compensation program
- Health Insurance Coverage (Table includes premium rates for Plan Year 2011 and does not include the discount available for the cross-reference option nor the higher premiums for smokers.)
Monthly Cost to Employee for Health
|Monthly Cost to Employee for Health Insurance|
SECTION 1. Applicants shall be disqualified from further participation in the selection process or removed from the register if it is determined that:
- An applicant does not meet any one (1) of the qualifications for appointment as an officer;
- An applicant has made a false statement of material fact on the application or in response to any questions or requests for information during the selection process.
- An applicant has used or attempted to use political influence, coercion or bribery to secure an advantage in any phase of the selection process;
- An applicant has cheated during the course of any examination required during the selection process, or has attempted to gain an advantage over other applicants by any dishonest or intentionally misleading act or omission:
- An applicant has failed to comply with any instructions from the department relating to the selection process;
- An applicant has been dismissed for cause from any public agency, or has resigned while charges of misconduct were pending;
- An applicant has been convicted of a felony or a crime of moral turpitude;
- An applicant is a current user of a controlled substance, unless prescribed by a physician;
- An applicant is addicted to any controlled substance or intoxicant;
- An applicant has more than six (6) driver demerit points against his operator license;
- An applicant tests positive for an unlawful controlled substance as determined by a blood or urine analysis.
EFFECTIVE MARCH, 2002
Agency policy states: Tattoos or body piercing shall not be visible while in any agency issued uniform.
After five years of service, Troopers attain the rank of Senior Trooper and receive an additional five-percent increase in salary. Those with 60 college credit hours can achieve this rank in three years.
Promotion to Sergeant, Lieutenant and Captain is based upon merit and prescribed criteria set out by statute to include testing and evaluation.
A ten-percent raise accompanies each promotion.
Sergeant - eligible to compete after six (6) continuous years of service as a Trooper.
Lieutenant - eligible after one (1) continuous year of service at the rank of Sergeant.
Captain - eligible after one (1) continuous year of service at the rank of Lieutenant.
KSP Speciality Assignments:
The Kentucky State Police has full police powers to enforce all criminal and traffic offenses within all 120 counties as well as many specialized areas including but not limited to:
- Special Response Team (SRT)
- K-9 Units
- General and Narcotics Detectives
- Accident Reconstructionists
- Community Relations Officers
- D.A.R.E Officers
- Marijuana Eradication Strike Forces
- Electronic Crimes
- Academy Instructors
- Auto Theft
- Executive Security
- Honor Guard
You must have completed your probationary period and meet special requirements to be eligible and considered for specialized assignments.
For additional information see our frequently asked questions (FAQ's).
LEAP applications are available from any Kentucky State Trooper or at any Kentucky State Police Post.