Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA)
Pursuant to KRS 237.110, 237.138, 237.140, 237.142 and 502 KAR 13:010 qualified honorably retired elected or appointed peace officers may apply for certification to carry a concealed deadly weapon pursuant to the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), 18 U.S.C. 926C. The forms and processes for LEOSA certification have been updated to reflect amendments to LEOSA. Click here for the text of Public Law 111–272, which revised several provisions of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), 18 U.S.C. 926C, including the definition of the term "qualified retired law enforcement officer". http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ272/pdf/PLAW-111publ272.pdf
- Initial application - In addition to the application, each retired peace officer who desires certification to carry a concealed deadly weapon pursuant to LEOSA is required to submit the following to the sheriff of his county of residence to be attached to the application:
- Evidence of retired status together with all information required by applicable federal and state laws and administrative regulations;
- Evidence of successful completion of firearms qualification required by KRS Chapter 237 including annually meeting the marksmanship qualification requirement for a retired peace officer established in KRS Chapter 237. The Peace Officer Range Qualification Certification-LEOSA (KSP Form 123) must be completed and signed by the retired peace officer and the firearms instructor/trainer, as appropriate, in the places indicated. Once completed and signed, the form shall be returned to the retired peace officer to be attached to the completed application. You may wish to visit the website of the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training at http://docjt.jus.state.ky.us for information on available firing range dates.
- A signed, notarized statement from the applicant that he or she is an eligible peace officer (KSP Form 124A). (KSP RETIRED OFFICERS ONLY-after completion of the form and notarization of the signature of the retired KSP officer, the form should then be submitted to the KSP CCDW Section, 1266 Louisville Road, Frankfort, KY 40601, which will then forward to the Commissioner).
- A notarized statement from the agency that employed the applicant as a law enforcement officer that the applicant is an eligible peace officer (KSP Form 124B).
- A photograph that meets one of the following standards:
- An original color photograph or a color photographic copy developed from the negative of an original photograph and:
- Be no less than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches by four (4) inches; and
- Not exceed four (4) inches by six (6) inches;
- A color photograph from a digital camera, rated for seven (7) megapixels or greater, printed on photograph quality paper; or
- An original color passport style photograph that is:
- 2 x 2 inches in size; and
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
The photograph shall display the full front of the head and the facial features of the applicant and not be a photograph of the applicant wearing:
- A hat; or
- Attire that obscures a facial feature, hair, or hairline.
Peace Officer Range Qualification Certification-LEOSA (KSP 123)
You can download the Peace Officer Range Qualification Certification-LEOSA form by clicking here. Document provided in PDF format.
You can download the LEOSA Law Enforcement Retirement Certification (KSP 124B) by clicking here. Document provided in PDF format.
For more information on Concealed Deadly Weapons please call: 502-782-9781