Sergeant Michael B. Webb
Kentucky State Police
Public Affairs Branch
Office (502) 782-1780
KSP Announces Procedures For Intermediate Driver's License
Date of News Release: 03/26/2007
(FRANKFORT, KY) - The Kentucky State Police Driver Testing Branch advises that applicants who applied for and were issued a motor vehicle operator's instruction permit after Oct. 1, 2006 under the graduated driver's license program are eligible to take a driving skills test to qualify for an intermediate operator's license beginning April 1. However, they must not have violated any of the following conditions:
- The instruction permit was carried at all times when operating a motor vehicle, motorcycle or moped on the highway.
- Permit holder was accompanied by a person 21 years of age or older with a valid driver's license.
- Permit holder under the age of 18 has not operated a motor vehicle between the hours of 12 midnight and 6 a.m. without good cause (emergencies, school or work-related activities).
- Permit holder under age of 18 has not operated motor vehicle at any time when accompanied by more than one unrelated person under age of 20 unless accompanied by licensed driving instructor.
- Operated a motor vehicle with 0.08 blood alcohol level (0.02 for persons under 21 years of age).
- Operated a motor vehicle while under the influence of any other substance or combination of substances that impair driving ability.
KSP also advises that applicants wishing to take the test for an intermediate license must go online to http://drlic.kytc.ky.gov and print an eligibility verification letter prior to arrival for the driving skills test. Applicants must present this letter and a statement signed by a parent or guardian stating that the applicant has completed 60 hours of supervised driving, including 10 hours at night, accompanied by a 21-year-old licensed driver in the front passenger seat.
The verification letter and signed statement are required in order to take the driving skills test for the intermediate license.
A licensed driver 21 years of age or older must accompany the applicant to the test location and the vehicle used for the test must be properly registered and insured. The vehicle must also pass an on-site safety inspection prior to the test.